Bridging the gaps in facility management
Pen and Paper, Figma
Visual Design, Information Architecture, Interaction Design, Prototyping
Software solutions available for residential communities are not designed for users.
There are no apps on the market that automate everything a resident needs in a house in one app. There’s a need for an app that combines facility management with fanatic user welfare, automating all the major inconviniences of living in an apartment for residents.
End-to-end management of tasks seamlessly.
- Simple and clear step-by-step onboarding process for first time users.
- Important to guide users to ensure they grasp the full scope of the application.
- Provide residents with quick access to the most important features from the homepage.
- Most recent notices and messages can be seen in the message section.
Emergencies, Security and Maintenance
- Big red button centered on the screen makes it easy to access in case of emergencies.
- In line with end-to-end automation, residents can make maintenance requests, create visistor passes or contact the gate.
- A global overview of current balance, transactions performed.
- Residents are able to fund their account, and withdraw to a bank of their choice.
- A detailed report to help users analyze and track their spendings.
Shop for convinience with ease
- Residents can search for, add items to their cart, checkout and track their orders progress and status from the Store.
- Utiliities can be paid for directly from the app.
- First profile created in an household is the admin, and they can view and add other memebers to their household.
- Can see a log of all the visitors pass created for their household.
THE SOLUTION - MARKETING WEBSITE
Support the launch of the mobile application; providing information about Homely
THE SOLUTION - RESIDENT
For the occassional user that prefers accessing the tool from their browser.
THE SOLUTION - COMMUNITY MANAGER
Creating and maintaining profiles for houses, residents, gates, emergencies, cars and visistors.
THE SOLUTION - HOMELY ADMIN
Overseeing portal to manage community manager profiles and stores.
UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM
Competitors had little to no focus on the resident experience.
I analyzed the 3 of the most popular facility management apps in the market. I found that they had little to no focus on the resident aspect and focused more on the estate management as a whole. I also looked at some indirect competitiors like utility suppliers - Gas on the Go, BuyPower. This became an oppurtunity for a solution.
I organized an online Card sort session with 6 participants to observe patterns and language they used, to determine the best way to organize and categorize the features. Also, using the personas and empathy maps, I made the journey map highlighting the pain points and the oppurtunities for improvement.
I did some initial sketches to do some quick investigations and get feedback early on
Using the research findings, I explored design ideas to find the best approach to the solution. I started with some initial sketches to do some quick investigation of what would work.
Link to the full prototype here
What I’ve learnt on this project
I started out as a self taught designer, and this was one of my first client projects. It was great learning experience as it was my first time working with other stakeholders to dissect a problem and find a solution. Looking back athe project, there are a couple of thing I’d do different, these are some of the thing I learnt:
- Better research: I would have insisted on doing more user interviews to properly understand the target audience and get more accurate information on painpoints and needs.
- User Tests: At the end of the design phase, I would have conducted usability tests with users to validate the design choices and solution, so I can iterate upon them. this was not done at the time as the client wanted to complete the development phase first, however unfortunately I’d left the project at the time.
- I would have done more in the discovery phase like explorng more ideas, empathy maps, personas and journey maps to be able to empathize with the users better.